Boxgrove Priory was a Benedictine monastery founded by William de la Haye in 1115. The present building is mostly 13th century and consists of the tower crossing, transepts, eastern aisles and chancel. The demolished nave was used by the parish until the Dissolution when they swapped it for this more sumptuous monastic area. Its chief treasures were the product of the mid-16th century patronage of Thomas de la Warr and his wife, Elizabeth: the floral and heraldic painted ceilings and their chantry chapel. The couple were not actually buried in the chantry in the end, but it remains as a superb piece of renaissance architecture with very fine carving throughout. Other monuments include an unusual mid-20th century bronze effigy to Admiral Philip Nelson-Ward and a mid-18th century delicate scene commemorating Dowager Countess of Derby. Parts of the Chapter House and pilgrims' dormitory survive to the north.
The pictures on this page are cropped examples of images in our high resolution photo library. Please e-mail us for details of these or similar image availability at our very reasonable reproduction rates.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2005|