Bristol is a medieval gothic cathedral. It was founded as an abbey in 1148 by the FitzHardinges and became something of a private chapel for their descendants, the Berkeleys of Berkeley Castle. Their stellar tombs are all over the place and they match those of the abbots. The lady chapel has been repainted in its original colours and gives an incredible impression of what cathedrals once looked like. The building's greatest treasure is perhaps its Chapter House - a superb piece of Norman zi-g-zag architecture. At the Reformation, the abbey was in the middle of being rebuilt. The west end had been pulled down and, though the building became a cathedral, the nave was not rebuilt until Victorian times. You would never know.
The pictures on this page are cropped examples of images in our high resolution photo library. Please e-mail us for details of these or similar image availability at our very reasonable reproduction rates. Location release may be required for some photos.
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2005|