also called Richard the Lionheart
was the eldest surviving son of King Henry
- He is best known for being
completely uninterested in England. He barely spoke the language and
hardly ever set foot in the country.
- Richard was a favourite of his
mother. He grew up in Poitiers. He rebelled against his father several
- He spent most of his reign on
Crusade in the Holy Land. He conquered Cyprus and twice almost took
Jerusalem, but he failed to send the Turks packing.
- While he was away, Richardís
brother, John, plotted with the King of France to overthrow him.
- Their plans were helped by
Richard getting himself kidnapped by the Holy Roman Emperor on his way
home. Eventually, he did return home though and defeated his brother.
- Later he fought a war against
the French King. Whilst fighting near Limoges in France, a boy shot
him in the shoulder with an arrow. He died soon afterwards.
- The next king was his younger